SharePoint for document control
What are the main benefits of SharePoint for document control?
The key benefits of SharePoint for document control (for architecture, engineering, and construction design project teams) include:
- It enables project teams to work better together on project documents by using a system (SharePoint) that specializes in document control and collaboration — especially beneficial for project teams working from home, remotely, and in the office
- Better document control:
- Having record of which version of a particular project document was sent, and when, helps effectively handle disputes/contests should they arise
- Synergy houses immutable (non-changeable) versions of project documents, for more advanced document control
- Transitioning away from attaching important (and legal) project documents to emails that can be edited, which can be risky
- It’s a real-time back-up of Synergy project data
How does SharePoint for document control work
SharePoint for document control is designed to improve collaboration and document control for architecture, engineering, and construction design project teams.
Your project folder structure in Synergy is replicated in SharePoint. Project folders in SharePoint inherit the same security access levels as in Synergy.
Project documents (for example, proposals) that are created in Synergy will be automatically populated into the relevant project folder in SharePoint.
If a new project document is added to a project folder in SharePoint, a Synergy user will get a notification in Synergy asking if they’d like to add the project document to the relevant project folder in Synergy.
Similarly, if a Synergy user edits a project document in SharePoint (that was originally created in Synergy), they’ll receive a notification in Synergy highlighting the changes and asking them permission to accept the changes made.
How it works in practice
A Synergy user collaborates with their team on a Synergy template, in SharePoint (Synergy templates populate all project data, SharePoint templates don’t). Once complete, the changes are reviewed and accepted in Synergy. Then, the project document can be added to a transmittal and sent off to the relevant party. This version sent, and action, is recorded in Synergy (making it easy to reference in the future, if necessary).
How much does SharePoint for document control cost?
SharePoint for document control is only an extra AU$5* per user, per month**, and is available on Business and Enterprise plans (it’s free until January 2021).
* International pricing: 3GBP, 4USD, 4EURO, 4CAD per user, per month.
** SharePoint for document control is activated for all users.